Monday, December 13, 2010

I Kinda Want To Be A Christmas Wizard

Seriously, I would like to be a Christmas Wizard for some reason.

I love Community.
I love schmaltzy, over the top Christmas specials (to a point, that is).
I love clever digs, even at things that I also happen to love.

Therefore, I was destined to love the December 9th episode of Community: "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas." It was produced in purposely lo-fi stop-motion animation and told the story of a mildly delusional Muslim boy and his group of friends (among them a devout Christian, a Jehovah's Witness, and at least one atheist) searching for the true meaning of Christmas at Santa's workshop at the North Pole. All along the way, they take some friendly shots at the conventions of classic Christmas specials, among other things.

(They even managed to add a bonus piece of the puzzle to my quest for resolution with a certain TV show).

If you're still tracking with me, and you enjoy having a few giggles check out the episode below.


I would love to see more TV comedies do things with such blatant disregard for the homogenizing standards behind a lot of today's 30-minute sitcom fare, as Community does (along with a handful of others) on a near-weekly basis. It's also nice to see some prime time exposure for the handiwork of Dino Stamatopoulos, who had a big hand in bringing this episode to the screen. No surprise, considering his resume so far.


Photo credit: NBC

No comments:

Post a Comment